Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Grill Crunchy Chips From Healthy Greens


I'm having a bit of a kale problem. Not too long along I ate an entire head of curly kale in a six-hour period. My refrigerator's crispers are busting with the greens. And, to further feed my habit, I've planted four seedlings of the plant in my small backyard garden. I will or will not admit to silently wishing them to "have a productive day" as I walk past them on my way to work.

A shame, really, that I hadn't realized earlier the full potential of this hearty green beyond its use to decorate dinner plates at diners. Now I cut kale into bite-sized pieces and sauté it with olive oil and garlic. Now I slice it into ribbons and eat it raw dressed with lemon juice and sea salt as a side salad. And, now, my palate has been opened to the world of kale chips.

I owe this to Joshua Skenes, executive chef of Saison in San Franscico. Skenes is a bare-bones chef who treats his ingredients with simple preparations designed to showcase the true flavor of food cooked over flame.

His method for cooking kale chips also extends to other leafy greens and it's a recipe great for both gas and charcoal grills. If you're cooking with propane, the preparation works best before you enter into the bulk of your day's grilling. Just preheat the grill to low and by the time you're finishing up prepping the rest of your meal, you'll have chips to snack on while you grill. If you have charcoal rig, toss the leaves on the grill after cooking dinner. By the time you clean up, you'll have chips to see you through the next few days. Just store them in a sealable container stashed in the pantry.

Skenes’ recipe follows. But, I will warn you, it's habit-forming.

Grilled brassica chips
Recipe by Joshua Skenes, executive chef of Saison in San Francisco

What you'll need:
1 pound well-rinsed leafy greens (Tuscan kale, spinach, rainbow chard, mustard greens, red orach)
Grapeseed oil
Fine sea salt

How to make it:
1. Preheat your grill to low heat or, if you're using charcoal, light a shallow layer of coals and let them burn down to hot embers covered lightly with ash.
2. Lightly brush each leaf with grapeseed oil and season with salt. Place the leaves on the grilling rack, close the grill lid and cook until crispy, 30 to 45 minutes. 


Via: Grill Crunchy Chips From Healthy Greens