Saturday, June 30, 2012

Happy Hour Watermelon Blast


The idea for this cocktail came to me as I was whipping up a watermelon-ade* for my parents last summer. It started as a virgin beverage, but it didn’t stay that way for long: One sip and I knew I had the makings of an amazing cocktail.

First I spiked the juice with some vodka … and it was good. Then I added some muddled mint. Much better. But when I topped it off with sparkling wine, I knew I had something special. The Watermelon Blast was born.

If you’re firing up the ‘cue with friends for the holiday, here’s what you do. Slice a nice sized seedless watermelon down the middle (and perhaps make this dish with the other half). Then  make this drink. You can prep the “ade” part hours ahead of time; that way you can bust out cocktails quickly and maximize your hang time. And because the vodka can be optional, the designated drivers can enjoy it too. I hope you have a blast.

Watermelon Blast

What you’ll need:
8 cups cubed watermelon (makes about 1 quart of juice)
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Good quality vodka (I like Tito’s Handmade Vodka)
Sparkling wine (club soda will also work)
1/2 cup sugar
Mint leaves
Lime wedges for garnish

How to make it:
For the watermelon-ade: Whiz half of the watermelon cubes in a blender until smooth. Strain over a large bowl; discard the solids. Repeat with the remaining watermelon cubes. Add the lime and sugar to the watermelon juice and stir until the sugar has disolved. Taste and add more sugar if necessary. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
For the cocktail: In a tall glass, add a few mint leaves and a few drops of watermelon juice; muddle the mint. Add 2 oz of vodka. Add ice and fill your glass almost to the top with watermelon-ade. Shake in a shaker or stir. Top with sparkling wine and garnish with mint leaves and a lime wedge.

*If you’re curious, the watermelon-ade recipe is from Emeril Lagasse’s cookbook Farm to Fork. 


Via: Happy Hour Watermelon Blast